TikTok is one of the most popular social app right now. As a security professional, we need to be open to new technologies and learn ways on how to make it safe and secure not only to yourself but also to people around you. This is the mindset of a #humanfirewall.
- Control your messaging and comments. TikTok has features to restrict who can only message you or provide comments on your videos. You can also enable comment filter to auto block inappropriate language or unfollow/block users to prevent from sending you a private message.
- Limit the content you see. Enable "Restricted Mode" on your account. This limits the appearance of content that may not be appropriate for all audiences. You can filter it further. In case you see a video that you don't like, long press the video and select "Not Interested". This will limit this type of video from showing in your feeds.
- Choose who can duet with you. This is a fun way to collaborate with other people. To make it even better, ensure to control this feature by restricting who can duet with you by tapping "Who Can Duet With Me" by choosing friends rather than everyone.
- Be a Cyberparent. TikTok has a feature called "Digital Wellbeing" to control how much time you spend using the app and also control the content that may be inappropriate for you or your loved ones. You can also manage parental control access to TikTok through settings in Apple and Android devices.
- Report. Familiarise yourself to the community guidelines and report any inappropriate actions or tell your guardian about it. This way, you can help to make this app safer for you, your children and for others. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Following the Human Firewall tips are at your own discretion. Any actions you may take upon the information on this page is strictly at your own risk.